Tuesday, June 24, 2014

La Feria...y mucho mas!

I can now say that I've hit the halfway point.  My trip is halfway over.  My time with the kiddos is halfway spent.  My Cochabamba adventure is over halfway done...
WOAH.

Am I ready to be done?  Absolutely not.  Does the idea of leaving this place that I've fallen in love with in 2 and a half weeks scare me?  Absolutely.  I'm not ready.  Not in the least.  I feel like I'm finally getting to know the kiddos at El Centro really well and know where I belong and what my job is here...
And now I have to think about leaving.  I'm just not ready to think about that yet.  

The last week here has definitely been my favorite I think, or at least held a lot of the highlights of this trip.  But it was also the week where certain things popped up and I started to miss my family more, my friends, and my home.  It was hard to see all that was going on in NW Iowa and not be there to be help or at least to be a support...  This week it really started to sink in how much I love this place, adore the children, and am going to miss being a part of this culture and community.  

This week we were able to celebrate Emily's birthday!! It was such a fun day being able to do that with the Quiroga family.  Any time spent with them is really cherished, and I have absolutely LOVED getting to know them and be a part of their family!  This family is WONDERFUL.  We went out for supper for Emily's birthday (where we were all able to try anticucho... cow heart!!).  It was a fun time at an outdoor food court-type area.  After that, we returned home to the most delicious chocolate cake I think I have EVER eaten, prepared by the wonderful Joana!  We even celebrated with Barbie birthday hats to make the occasion extra-special, and all the boys even joined in on the fun! ;)  

Thursday was Corpus Christi here in Bolivia, a Catholic holiday that is celebrated.  On most holidays most people don't work, therefore schools were closed and we didn't have to work at El Centro.  We instead went and worked construction at the Center in the morning and then spent the afternoon relaxing and preparing for La Feria.  On Friday we had La Feria (the fair) for the kiddos at El Centro.  This was by far my favorite day at the center so far.  The fair is something they hold twice a year for the kiddos.  The kids receive fake money/tickets for a certain amount.  They earn their money throughout the year by attendance, good behavior, and hard work in their classes at the center.  It is such a neat idea, and I love that the kids have to earn what they want to spend at the fair.  The kids each received their money and a card around their neck that showed all the stations.  They had to go in order to each station and could proceed through the stations as many times as they wanted until all of their money was gone.  There were four stations--food, games, clothing, and toys.  The kids could spend their money on whatever they wanted in each station!  The kids were SO excited, and I absolutely loved seeing the joy on their faces as they could pick out what they wanted and just have a fun day off from homework!  I helped out in the toy station, so I was able to help a lot of kids find fun toys to take home with them.  We also helped out by going to the Cancha and buying a lot of the toys that week, so it was fun to see who all of the toys went home with.  One thing that really stuck with me was how selfless some of the kids were.  Many of the kids would come in the toy room the second time and instead of picking out a toy for themselves would pick out a toy for their younger sister or brother at home---so precious!!  La feria was a success, thanks to so many people who donated and helped out at it!  The kids clearly had a blast, and I loved being a part of it!  Before even beginning, Joana led the kids in a prayer to thank the One who made the entire thing possible--I love that they kept the entire thing in perspective and really put the focus on what God has done, what He is doing, and what He has provided. They said at one point throughout the year, they also hold a smaller Feria for the parents.  It really is a great idea to give the kids the opportunity to earn through positive behavior--and therefore be able to buy things with dignity and pride!

Friday was just such an awesome, packed day because at night we were able to join Kathryn, one of the missionaries here, and go downtown to see a local music festival.  There were bands playing in various locations, so we decided to check it out!  We went out and ate some pizza, ordered coffee at a coffee shop and listened to a band there, and then headed to Plaza Principal where some local indigenous bands were playing.  It was so cool!  We kind of described it as a "battle of the bands" because one band would be playing and then another band would just start forming and march on up to the "stage" and start playing over top of the sound of the first band!  It was really interesting to see the dress of the people and see their different instruments and hear the music.  Saturday we were able to go La Cancha with Mama Toty, Joana, & Isaac (we dragged the poor boy along..he's such a good sport!). We were able to do some shopping and finally get a few souvenirs!  We also did some good shopping Monday afternoon.  The things you can buy here are so cool, and I love just looking even in all the stores!

Sunday we went to church, which I absolutely love here.  Every week I am so blessed to be a part of this church community located at the center.  Gustavo preached this week.  I was reminded through his lesson how all we need is the Bread of Life.  We got to be little kids and play with balloons in the sermon, which signified how we are nothing without the life God can only breathe into us--then we are like a fully blown-up balloon that doesn't just fall to the ground.  God really is the Life that we need--ALL that we need.  I have recognized that over & over again during this experience.  Daily I ask him for what I need to get me through the day, to help me overcome a struggle--& He provides.  Every time.

Sunday afternoon we were invited to Shari & Juan Carlos's home to watch a movie.  We headed there after lunch.  After that, Jorge, Isaac, & Natasha went with us girls to the Plaza where they have the "Futbol Fest" set up.  It is a huge screen where they are always showing the World Cup games.  We were able to watch the USA vs. Portugal game out in the middle of the city under the stars with hundreds of other people!  It was one of the coolest things I have ever done!  It was packed so we had to stand the entire game, but it was worth it!  The atmosphere was crazy awesome!  The fact that USA was ahead and in the last thirty seconds lost the lead to end the game in a tie was disappointing, but we couldn't have asked for a better night.  

Yesterday, since it was Monday we again had the day off.  I enjoyed the day by drinking my morning coffee and reading on the roof, cooking lunch (goulash & jello!) for the family, and then we all went downtown to shop (& of course eat ice cream!).  At night we watched a movie with the entire family-- which is becoming an almost daily occurrence for us!  We love to all sit down and watch a World Cup game or a movie and eat popcorn.  It has been some great bonding time/relaxation time for us!

A few prayer requests for the week:
-I had a few misshaps/"injuries" this week-- Funny story, but I ripped my pants getting out of a trufi on a very sharp object sticking out of the seat.  However, I got a deep scratch on my backside at the same time.  I was thankful I am up to date on my tetanus shot, and it seems to be healing up nicely! ha.. I also got bit by something at the Cancha--we are thinking at least-- My foot just strangely started to swell up by my toe and throb and I was like missing some skin... It was so strange!  But that seems to slowly be healing up as well!  So I am thankful for some non-serious injuries, but pray we will continue to be healthy and injury-free. :)
-That I wouldn't think too much about the upcoming good-byes, but would live in the moment and use all of the time we have here to the fullest!  (We really only have this week left of a "normal" week at El Centro.)
-For VBS.. We are working on planning and preparing for VBS, which is already next week!  The kids are starting to get excited!  Pray that we would be able to share the Gospel with them and hopefully teach some of them who don't even go to church more about the God who loves them more than any of us do!  
-Continued safety

Thanks so much for all of your support, prayers, and love from all over to where I am in Cochabamba.  It means the world to me.

Adios y vaya con Dios,
Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment