Tuesday, July 8, 2014

La escuela Biblica de vacaciones y el comienzo del fin...

My final week here in Cochabamba has begun, and it is very bittersweet.  I am ready to see my family, but I will miss the people who have become my 2nd family here so very much.

Last week we had VBS.  We ended up not being able to have it on Thursday because of the protests and everything.  However, we didn't have to drop anything because we made it all fit into Friday's schedule miraculously!  Friday was another really great day at VBS.  I was able to share the gospel with Leah's help using the Gospel Soccer Ball.  It is basically another version of the wordless book, where colors represent the different parts of the Gospel story.  We thought with the World Cup going on and all the kiddos that really love soccer, it would really help them remember the important Gospel story!  I think it went really well, and the kids really showed that they knew God's story.  

At the end of our time that day at VBS, Joana led a time where the kids could say good-bye for us.  It was a really bittersweet but special time.  The kids got in a big circle around us volunteers.  They got in close so some of them could lay their hands on us.  And then Joana led them in an echo prayer where they prayed over us, thanked us for coming, and wished us well.  Then after the prayer some of the kids took the microphone and said a few words for us if they wished.  Some of them said they would miss, others that they wished we would be safe in our travels, and that God would care for us.  It was so very sweet of all them.  It was such a special time to say good-bye to those kiddos that have stolen my heart.

Saturday we had our last morning of experiments.  We did experiments with water with the 4th-6th graders.  It went well once again, and it has been such a blessing to be able to teach them and interact with the older students at the center.  Saturday afternoon we went to the Cancha and did some shopping with Toty and Joana.  We then went down to El Prado and ended up getting ice cream at our favorite place and watching the very ending of the World Cup game.  

Sunday I had my last day of church.  I have been so very blessed to be a part of this church family while here.  Everyone has been so welcoming.  I will really miss the intimate worship setting and seeing everyone each week.  Before preaching, David spoke some words to me and then prayed for me as it was my last week with them.  At the end of the service, everyone got in a circle around me and laid hands on me while Mama Toty prayed for me.  As my sweet Bolivian mother was praying and choking up, I couldn't help but really tear up.  It will be so hard to leave these people that I love and that love me so well!  Her prayer will always be very special to me, as she prayed for my time with them and for my future.  One of the hardest parts of Sunday is that I was expecting my dear friend Arminda to come to church.  She always asks me if I'll be there and this week was no exception.  I kept waiting and waiting, but she never showed up.  I was expecting to say good-bye to her that day.. I feel very sad that I never really got the chance to say good-bye, as that was my last chance.  It is really hard not feeling that finality.... I will miss her so.  She is a sweet, sweet girl who has loved on me so much this trip. 

Sunday was a day for fiestas!! We were invited to two parties that day, so we had quite the busy day.  First, we had one of the teachers at the center, Laura's, baby shower.  It was so fun that she invited us.  We went with Toty and Joana.  There was lots of good food and games.  We had picked out a gift for her from all of us volunteers the day before at the Cancha.  We could only stay for a short time, but it was so fun to be a part of a celebration like that here in Bolivia.  

Then we headed straight over to the Porter's house for Natasha's QUINCEANERA!!  I have always wanted to experience a quinceanera so I finally got to!  It wasn't quite the extravagant event that they sometimes can be, but it was such a special time and we were so glad we could help Natasha celebrate!  She is truly a special girl, with such a beautiful smile and her joy for the Lord radiates!  The quinceanera is really a time to celebrate a girl becoming a woman.  We ate some really good food (my first amazing burger in a long time! yum!) and laughed a lot playing games with everyone.  Everyone was asked to bring a few words to say to Natasha.  We spent time all sharing what she means to us and got to hear letters read to her that were sent from family all around the world.  It was so special, and I am so glad I could be a part of that special celebration.  

Yesterday, Monday, we ended up going to Parque Tunari.  It is a national park where you can hike.  We were expecting to find a lake or something, but we ended up not being able to make it far enough.  We had to turn around in order to make it down in time before sunset.  We started from the house walking at 10:15.  We didn't make it home til after 5:30.  Man, we were exhausted!! We walked pretty much the entire way.  Just up the mountain it was about 13 kilometers!  We figured we walked about 17 miles in total that day.  My legs are feeling it today!  The views were beautiful, though, and I was thankful I was smart and brought my nice camera this time!  

My days are coming to an end here.  I'm beginning to recognize that so many things are my "lasts".  I'm treasuring my last moments with the Quiroga family and the new friends I have made here.  I will miss this place so much, and will always treasure it.  I hope to be back!!

Prayer requests:
  • That I would be able to really cherish and take in these last days.  
  • For safety and good travels as I travel to Santa Cruz on Saturday and then have to spend the night in a hotel before flying out to the USA on Sunday morning.
  • That I would feel peace as I have to leave this place and am able to say good-byes and feel some sort of finality..
  • That God would not stop working in me, but that I would continue to learn and grow in these last moments and days, and also as I return home and have to adjust to home once again.
  • Pray for our work at the center this week.  The kids are still on vacation, so we are deep cleaning this week!  
Adios y vaya con Dios,
Breanna
Mama Toty dominating one of the games at the baby shower!  You can tell she's had some experience ;)
The kiddos singing one day at VBS!
Me and Natasha at her quince!

At one of the highest points we made it to on our hike....overlooking the beautiful city of Cochabamba.

No comments:

Post a Comment