Thursday, July 3, 2014

"Porque para Dios no hay nada imposible"...Lucas 1:37

Trust in God... Nothing is impossible for God.  

That is the theme we have been focusing this week's VBS for the kiddos at the center on.  Luke 1:37 is the verse they have been memorizing.  It has been a great first two days of VBS.  Tuesday and Wednesday we shared the stories of God calling Abraham and Daniel and the Lion's Den.  The kids have really seemed to enjoy it so far!  The kids have learned a lot about what it means to truly trust God, follow Him even when you don't know where He may be leading you, and that His plan is the best plan for our lives.  

But I have also had to take that verse and those words to heart.  Yesterday we heard news that there was going to be protests and blockades today.  Those happen occasionally here.  Basically, the trufi drivers or bus drivers are protesting for something.  It often has to do with the transportation.  Well, that means there is no transportation today.  They usually last just 24 hours, unless they come to an agreement before then.  None of the trufis or buses are running on these days because they are on strike and/or because of the large amount of blockades set up around the city.  Taxis and personal cars are the only means of transportation, but that is if they can get around.  

Unfortunately, we knew what that meant for us.  We would not be able to get up to the center.  That means no construction in the morning.  And possibly no VBS in the afternoon.  Bummer.  That was hard news to hear.  After all our hard work to prepare a 4-day VBS, we would have to cut out one day if the protests continued through the afternoon... And that also means for me 1 less day with the kiddos.  As of now, we haven't heard any news of them coming to an agreement and it's close to noon here.  We usually leave around 1:30 for the center.  

Last night I had to come to terms with the fact that all I can do about it is pray.  And trust.  Just like the kids have been learning.. Anything is possible with God.  If I'm standing in front of them every day preaching that, I need to believe it myself, right?  I knew that all I could do is pray, wait, and pray some more.  And trust that God will work it out for the best.  If it isn't possible to have VBS this afternoon, we will just adjust.  We will rearrange the schedule for tomorrow and just make it work.  And it will all come together.  Because I trust that God will work it out for the best.  Not that this was an easy realization to come to at all.  It does really stink that we probably will be having one less day of VBS.  And I will probably only have one more day with all the kiddos at the center...and then a morning of experiments with the older students.  

VBS has been so fun so far, though.  It has definitely been stressful.  And it hasn't all been easy.  Arranging everything, preparing everything, and making it all come together was difficult and trying at times.  Before we began Tuesday, I didn't know how it was going to all go down.  And again, all I could do about it was pray and hope for the best!  God definitely blessed our plans, and it went really well!  We adjusted and learned from our first day (like all great teachers do!) and the second day went well, also!  We have a time of singing at the beginning.  After that we split the kids into age-level groups.  They go through centers of games, a drama story, and a craft.  They also get a snack in one of the centers.  I have been in the drama center, so I have been part of preparing and being a part of the story we share with them about the Bible each day.  It has been a lot of fun to see them learning and participating!  I can't wait to see how the next day(s) go!  I am confident that they will walk away learning a lot about trusting God.

Some prayer requests:

  • I have definitely had some of my hardest days while here in this past week.  I think the mix of starting to miss people at home more, the stress of preparing VBS, and the anxiety of looking forward to having to leave the people here have really taken a toll on me.. Prayers for strength, perseverance, and that I would really finish out my last week and a half strong!
  • It looks like I picked up pink eye somehow... I woke up this morning with a nasty, pink eye.  Not fun, so pray that it would go away soon!
  • Pray for the protests and blockades going on.  Pray that they would be peaceful.  Pray that they would be able to find an agreement...and God-willing before VBS so that we are able to have it this afternoon!
  • Pray that God would continue to work on my heart and teach me things and open my eyes.  I have really been trying to dig into His word and use these last two weeks fully, so that I am able to come away with a deeper relationship with Him and a better understanding of this world.  He has been doing some great things in me so far!
Trust in Him!  Anything is possible with God on your side!

Adios y vaya con Dios,
Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment